Friday, February 25, 2011

The Talent of Carrying Stuff on your Head...


Anika now puts her folded laundry on her head to take it back to her room. It's the African way... but she must need a little more practice because some of her clothes had to be re-folded after they fell off! It's super cute to see her incorporating some African ways into her life.

I wanted to post a few pix of the kids carrying things on their heads. Unfortunately, we didn't get any shots of people carrying 5-gallon buckets or any of the large loads. The most amazing is when you drive by women with huge plastic tubs full of wares to sell... it appears as if the study of physics could not prove how it stays upon their noggins. It does, however, and they walk so gracefully with it perched there, with their brightly-colored lappas swaying with each step, and their arms casually by their sides. Some even have a second piece of lappa fabric tied above their bust line that holds a baby on their back. Talk about multi-tasking. I mean, they also have to avoid being killed by the insane no-rules traffic. Anyway... in the midst of it all... these women are a picture of peace and balance and beauty to me. I feel like there's a spiritual parallel to be had, but I won't go there. :)




Then there are the men I saw carrying enormous bags of rice. I don't know how much they weigh (... think Costco-sized, fill-the-entire-bottom-of-your-cart-size bags of rice), but they are awkward and heavy, and these guys carry them who knows how far... on their heads.

Some people carry huge 5-foot long bundles of coal, wrapped tightly in palm leaves, to sell in the markets after it's divided up into little blue and white striped bags. Some people carry water, some carry buckets of fried donuts or food to sell, etc... etc. And there are also lots of people who carry nothing at all on their heads; they are just getting from one place to another.

I just love experiencing different cultures. I love seeing things that I don't get to see everyday. I appreciate the differences between my corner of the world and theirs. I am so glad that Anika and Asher have experienced it a little now too. What a privilege to be able to look at a textbook about Africa, and now be able to remember it... not just imagine it. And the best part? That the names and faces that go with our memories are our friends.

So, I will forever remember Sue carrying 5-gallon buckets full of water into our house from the well for us each morning, on her head, of course. (Jason helped her, but didn't even try to do it on his head... hmm, I wonder why.) She'd walk on over, walk up the steps, slip off her shoes, duck through the doorway, dodge the table and chairs, and empty it into our water barrel in the bathroom... all while gracefully balancing it... not spilling at all. Well, there was one time when she spilled a bit... and I teased her mercilessly. She laughed and smiled... knowing I could talk big, but I could never compete. :)

Ma Margaret with the clean dishes. She really is very sweet and friendly... she just didn't know what to do when I wanted her to be in a picture with me! :) I told her I would act like I was helping to carry her load.

No comments: