Thursday, February 17, 2011

Don't forget the fire ants...

Oops... in my diatribe about the critters, I neglected to mention the fire ants. They weren't in our house, so I forgot all about them. BUT... they were very present outside of our house! Everywhere you go, you just have to be aware of where you stand. If you forget to watch for them, they will surprise you with a nice little stinging bite, just to remind you that they are there. Not a huge deal, but they are quite uncomfortable until you find them, smoosh them between your fingers and throw them far from you!

It sounds terrible, but during devotions, when kids don't listen, they have to sit out in the dirt instead of on the steps, and this is a prime spot for the ants. So, you see the kids clear a space in the dirt so they can see the ants more easily when they come, and then they prepare themselves with a stick or rock to smash the ants before they have a chance to come bite them. Well, if they would have been listening, they'd have a cozy spot on the steps instead... we all have choices. :) You'd think that would be a deterrent for bad behavior... not so much.

When Jason and I would speak during devotions, the ants would find our feet quite delicious. I always tried to make sure I doused my feet in bug spray if I knew I'd be standing there for long. Otherwise you have to kill them and preach at the same time!

No comments: