Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Processing

It was fun and easy to post about the critters... I don't have to process through anything, I just have to write the facts and the funny stories. The rest of our trip is not that easy to deal with. I haven't sorted through how I feel about it all, what I think, or how I go from here. I haven't looked at all the pictures or sorted through all the thoughts that go through my head. So- the rest may take me a while. I think I'll just post about little bits at a time as it gets resolved in my head. Also- I will not be writing much about adoption stuff. I have to remain very cautious about it all for the sake of the children and familes who continue to wait. You can talk to me in person sometime, or shoot me an e-mail if you'd like.



Last time we went to Liberia, we noticed the trash everywhere. We noticed the dirty children, some filthy full-of-holes clothes, and the medical conditions that would not be tolerated in the states. We noticed all the same things this time... but it was not shocking to us anymore. It's just life there. It's the way things are. Many children have huge scars from getting injured or cut... and never having been able to get stitches for "pretty" healing. They don't care. They heal eventually and run around like there's no problem. I'm not sure how I feel about that yet. On one hand, we are notorious
over-reactors here in America. It's not necessary for me to speed to the doctor for a hang-nail. But to see Abraham's skin on his foot just shredded and red, and to know that no one does anything about that... it seems so sad. He's a little booger, but even they deserve some TLC, right? It's just that there are not many supplies to care for things like this. Kids learn to just deal with stuff. You get whacked by an older child, and you take it and move on to whack some kid smaller than you are. You get injured, and you get up and move on. There's no other option.

Anyway... more thoughts to come about the serious side of things. Just need some time.

No comments: