Thursday, February 17, 2011

Mommy Sieh

Mommy and me

One of Mommy's daughters ~ Sue Katriona ~ with Anika

Mommy with the surprise we arranged for her to get for Anika's birthday!

I know it sounds strange for me to call another woman "Mommy," but that's what everyone calls her... and that's exactly what she is to all of them. This woman is AMAZING. Her husband ("Daddy" Randolph Sieh) is the director at DHCV, so "Mommy" Francis is his incredible help and support. Plus, she's just beautiful... I mean, just beautiful.

She cooked for our family the entire time we were there... over the cookpot that stands over the fire that she makes from coal from the market. It is HOT in that little room where she cooks. I mean, HOT. Blazing. She is in there in here bare feet, so close to the coals on the cement floor, that I was amazed she didn't burn herself. She made incredible meals for us, 3 times a day... stuff that I would consider too complicated to make at home, she made over this little cookpot. We had cassava leaf, eggplant, cabbage, palm oil, shredded chicken, fish, potato greens, and so many more things in the different "soups" she prepared for over our rice. She made fried chicken, roasted barracuda, Liberian spaghetti, and much much more.

While the cooking was delicious, her friendship was even sweeter. What a woman of God. She encouraged me on a day that was extra difficult for my heart... telling me not to let the enemy have a victory over me by allowing myself to be discouraged... she spoke of Job, and how after all the trials he endured, God replaced it all many times over. She prayed with power and humility for us and for many others. She lives what she believes.

She also spoke to me about the war... when the rebels came and took over the orphanage, stealing everything usable there. They beat her husband severely, and would have killed him, but a young man among them stepped up when he recognized Daddy Sieh, and told them that he was a good man who had always been kind to him and helped him when he was in need~ as he had grown up in the same village many years ago. He was allowed to go free. So he and Mommy took 500 (FIVE HUNDRED!) children out of the compound, through the jungle to safety... where they stayed in an old building for around 3 months. The kids literally tied their clothes to the person in front of them so that they wouldn't get lost. Mommy helped to lead them out. She said it was like Moses leading the Israelites... there were so many children passing, that the grass underneath them was completely destroyed wherever they walked. She told me how it was a miracle that they were able to feed the children and keep them alive... that some man on a plane coming to Liberia heard about them and purchased enough oil, rice and such for them all to survive for the exact amount of time that they ended up being there.

I don't cry all that much. I didn't even cry when I said goodbye to Kelvin and Hawa this time. But I cried when I said goodbye to Mommy. I will miss her dearly.



No comments: