Tuesday, August 3, 2010

"Feeling" Liberia

It's supposed to be 90 degrees today... and crazy humid too. I used to hate these days. I used to stay in my house in the air conditioned bliss, or run errands in my air conditioned car to avoid the uncomfortable sensation of breathing in liquid air. But today, for the first time EVER, I found myself loving it. It's as close to feeling like I'm in Liberia as I can physically feel. It brings back memories of my children sitting in my lap as we rode in the van to the mission schools, with the wind {and the car exhaust} blowing in our faces. It reminds me of stepping off of the plane into Liberian air for the first time ever... and swallowing the thickness of the air in gulps. It takes me back to a knowledge that there is more than this. So, I ran errands this morning with my windows open... and I smiled like a fool who has some secret.
I'll probably be inside in my air conditioning a fair part of today, I mean, let's face it... I'm a wuss. But, I can promise you that I will make a point of sitting outside and remembering and thinking, and most of all, dreaming of when I will feel Liberia next.