Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Falling in Love




So, I've been in love with my man for a long time... I'd say about 15 years or so. Married for over 12, and I can honestly say that I cannot imagine a better husband, even if I ever wanted to try. He is as steady as a rock, he is kind and gentle, he's patient with my faults {and there are many...}, he's a man after God's own heart, he is helpful and thoughtful, he is an excellent communicater and listener, he's a consistent, involved and loving father to our kids, he forgives me, hears me, loves me, and desires me... my heart trusts him. I have no idea why the Lord would bless me with such a man in a world where so many people struggle in their marriages, but I am deeply thankful.

Certainly, we have our moments. We are two imperfect people trying to live together... who doesn't struggle? But throughout the years, God has replaced some of our filthy, stinky selfishness with the desire to serve one another and to pursue greater causes than our own gain. Wow... SO glad.

Marriage is one of our "things"... we just each have a heart for seeing God bring health and joy to marriages. Parenting is another. Adoption is one more. What's funny is that when we got married, we really didn't have all that much in common. He liked sports, I liked to read. He loved being outdoors, I preferred being cozy inside. He claimed to not have a creative bone in his body, I liked to scrapbook and do almost anything that required artsy-fartsy genes. Now we find that those differences don't matter much. The really beautiful, cool, and incredible thing is that God has brought both of us together in our excitement about the same things now. It hasn't always happened at the same time, but God has always brought unity in the issues and things that mattered most. It is so awesome to know that we love each other now more than ever.

My whole point is this... I have been falling in love with him even more since our time in Liberia.

I love...

... to watch him as he holds Hawa in his arms, and parents Kelvin with patience and love...



... to see him surrounded by children, making funny faces and laughing...

... to hear his heart when he talks about how empty American life can feel after being able to truly serve others all day long...

... that his heart breaks over orphans the same way mine does...

... that he wants to find a way to get back to Liberia...

... that he so desperately wants to communicate love to the deaf children that he wants us all to learn some sign language, and even taught us the alphabet via the internet last night...

... that he is captured by God's love, and ruined for this earthly life forever... he has bigger goals in mind.
How could I not fall in love with that?

1 comment:

Ami Carr said...

so let's go! We still want to get to Liberia. our tickets are good for a year! I love your heart for you children in Liberia and for your marriage. So thankful for you all! I can't wait to meet you someday. I still plan on that!
Ami