Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Liberia Part 3: The Need

I had to post about the kids first because so many of you tune in to hear about the adoption process, and were eager to see pictures of the children. But, in reality, the majority of our time in Liberia was not about our family, it was not about Kelvin and Hawa... it was about serving people, particularly children, who experience real need every single day. I would be remiss if I didn't implore you to not to skip over the uncomfortable parts that come next. You and I need to understand that the way we live here is not reality for most of the world, and that some of the world know hunger and pain and need every day. Here are some thoughts... and keep in mind that I am still processing, and that it is fresh and raw for me. So forgive me if I am abrupt... and try to see past that to the real issues.

I know that Liberia is not America. It's OK that it is dirtier there. It's OK that education is not near what it should be... at least they are going to school of some sort at the orphanages. It's even OK that there are no traffic laws, and that chaos rules at times. I don't pity the Liberian people, but I do have compassion for them, because you know what? It's not OK to see children that are stick thin with shaven heads to help ward off the ringworm and scabies. It's not OK that many of these orphans are rarely visited and told that they are loved and beautiful and worth much in God's eyes. It's not OK that some sleep on mattresses so full of mildew and mold that you and I would literally vomit from the smell if we were stuck in that room.
That's not OK.

And it's not OK for me to look the other way. I know now what material poverty looks like. I would argue that I see plenty of poverty here in the US, and I'm not talking about the homeless. There are people who are empty and broken and out of relationship with their creator... and that is poverty too. Materialism, the all-about-me mentality, seeking power and title and money...
that's all poverty as well. And it's sad and it's wrong. But material poverty, the kind that you physically die from because you have no food or clean water or medical care has got to be stopped.

It's a HUGE problem. There is no quick and easy solution. The rich western world cannot just swoop in and bring relief and fly away again. That just creates dependency and feeds the lack of motivation and hope felt by those trapped in their circumstance. But we must bring relief where it is desperately needed, and we must forge trusting, lasting relationships with those who will remain in their communities and begin to change things by God's grace.

I sound like I actually know what to do about this. I don't. I'm so small and insignificant and ignorant. I'm nobody... and I have nothing to offer except a willing heart when the Lord calls me. I just want to make sure that I'm ready to be willing. I want YOU to be ready to be willing when he calls you too... because he already has. He calls all of those who claim to love him. If we are not pouring our lives out for others... whoever those others may be, we are disobeying the Lord, and we dishonor his name.

I know that I'm being direct here... maybe it offends you. I guess I'm OK with that. What I saw in Liberia offends me. I knew it was there. I knew I could help. But now I really understand that even the little sacrifices I make are HUGE to the people in need. And "sacrifice" is such a relative word. I find it a sacrifice to fast and pray that my kids are released and can come home to us. By contrast, the amazing man who runs the Deaf Home in Liberia finds it a sacrifice to use his small stipend of food (meant for the children at the home) to feed the villagers that come, because they have even less than he does. It is a sacrifice, but he shares freely with them, even though it means his wards have less and less, because as he puts it, "I have to answer to God." He will not turn them away. I find that my version of sacrifice is ridiculous. I know it is the motivation of my heart that the Lord looks upon, so I am not desiring to lessen the things that he asks me to do... but certainly, I desire him to grow me into a woman who is willing to give so much more of myself for his glory.

It is amazing what the children at both the Daniel Hoover Children's Village and the Deaf Mission taught Jason and I. I think it struck us most at the Deaf Home, but it true in both places, and all around the world, I assume. Children need to know they matter. To God... to someone. As I took each child's photo for the sponsorship updates, I signed to each boy that he was "fine-o" or handsome, and to each girl that she was beautiful. ALL of them beamed when I did that. ALL of them. They ate it up. In fact, one girl brought her hand up to her mouth as if she could barely contain her joy, and she looked as if she would burst with happiness. All because I told her she was beautiful. I lost it then. It hit me that such a simple thing, something ANY ONE OF US can do, could mean THAT much. I am willing to bet she will not forget anytime soon.
I was overcome with the privilege that God would use me to tell her.

The thing is, these children are happy. Life is not easy. They have next to nothing... many of them wear filthy dresses or shirts that don't even fit them. They have sores and hernias and malaria. But they are cared for by people who have their best at heart. The staff of these homes are truly doing all they know to do to ensure that the kids are safe and cared for. And that is not true for many more children out there... most orphanages are atrocious and wrong on every level. But here we saw the best place these children could be in their circumstance... yet so much still lacked.

Man, I could go on and on. Maybe I will later. There's just so much our hearts don't know what to do with. I don't mean to preach... but sometimes, we have to speak out. So here's me... speaking out. I will post pictures of our time at the two homes soon... and keep a look-out for Sarah and Rebecca, who we both fell in love with. :)

No comments: