Monday, June 28, 2010

Liberia ~ Part 1: Moments of Meeting

So this is what you're all waiting for, right?? :) The moment of meeting the kids... we met on Saturday, June 20 near the ACFI office, right on the beach in Liberia. We had no idea we'd see them then! Jason's car got there first, and when I got there... he was already holding Hawa in his arms and holding Kelvin's hand. He had gotten there and seen a little face peek from behind a doorway, and his heart started beating HARD as he wondered if that really was Hawa!! It was... and he was able to greet them right away. I came about 5 minutes later and got right on my knees to look Kelvin in the face, after taking a quick look at my girl's arms wrapped around Jason's neck. He was shy and quiet, and very serious. I put my arms around him, and told him I was his Mama, and that I loved him. No tears on my part! I was too shocked to see them to cry, I think! He ran his hands up and down my arms as I spoke to him. Then Jason and I traded, and I got to hold Hawa in my arms! Just like in the dreams I've had, she wrapped her arms around me and nuzzled her face into my neck. OK, then I lost it a bit. I got all choked up. The Lord knew I'd scare the dickens out of Kelvin if I wailed, so he held it back... and I just swallowed hard and took some deep breaths, and I was OK.

They were both so quiet at first. Just taking it all in like we were. Eventually they would smile and respnd to us. We showed them the video we'd taken of Anika and Asher for them... they laughed out loud and waved as if the kids could see them from America. :) They loved it.


We walked down to the beach next... as a family. It was beautiful despite the garbage everywhere. Kelvin loved wearing Papa's sunglasses (his "shades"), and Hawa and I walked down to feel the water for just a moment. Oh man, I can't even explain how amazing it was to be together. It even seemed to be "normal" in an out-of-this-world kind of way.

We were then on our way to the Dixville orphanage... so we enjoyed our time holding them in the car, and trying to communicate. They would talk to us, but so quickly that we only caught maybe 20 % of what they said. I do know that they both called us "Mama" and "Papa" right away, and that Hawa kept smoothing my hair behind my ear because "Mama ha fla awa" (Mama's hair is flying away.) We got each of them to giggle and smile. :)










2 comments:

Becky Peed said...

O

Thats all I can so or I might start crying and never stop!!

Keep blogging, it's a great treasure for you and your kiddos!!

Ami Carr said...

I agree, I am awestruck at the emotions you must have felt and not even beginning to understand why I wasn't able to be there and hold our children. How are you doing now? I am sobbing as I type---the pics are so awesome. I am so glad God gave you this opportunity! He is Mighty to be praised!
I'll keep you in my prayers
Ami