Sunday, March 28, 2010

"Lovin' Liberia" Boutique Sale

OK- I had an idea, it's a little out-there. It came to me one night a week or so ago, and I couldn't sleep for 2 hours as I thought all about it. Maybe it was from the Lord, maybe not... but I'm kind of inspired.

I have a HUGE desire to raise some funds to go toward the projects that are important and even urgent in Liberia when we travel there in June. My heart is really desiring to be a blessing in whatever way I can to the orphans there. To be honest, money goes a long way there (unlike here) and the resources it can provide make a immense difference in their lives. Our team will get to decide how the money is best spent while we are there and able to see the greatest needs.

(Last year, these funds went toward things like:
*mattresses and bunk beds (made out of 2x4s) for the children at the orphanage
*food supply for the children there (rice)
*building a wall around the mission, to stop the thefts of the food and clothing supplies for the children
*seeds and gardening tools for the Liberian people they worked with to begin subsistance crops)

So- my idea is to hold a little boutique where all the money raised would go directly for this cause. We could call it "Lovin' Liberia" or something. I am imagining...

~shabby chic, sea-side, and spring/garden decor items
*hooks, tin signs, racks, serving items, notecards
*ivy starts in cute pots & containers
*white and off-white picture frames
*much more!
~a kids' table - with things made by kids, for kids
*I have some good ideas that kids can do...
~baked goods, presented beautifully
*cupcakes
*truffles
*specialty brownies
*unique items
~very gently used (and clean) purses on a rack
~crafts of various kinds:
*hand made bags & purses (you can make great little handbags out of placemats!)
*sewing /quilted crafts
*scarves
*sewn dolls (Anika and I want to make some of the same dolls we made for Hawa)
*onesies with clever or cute sayings on them -hanging on a clothesline with clothespins
*jewlery

The only way it would work however, is if I had people who would be willing to help me by donating their time and the starting costs to make some crafts, or to collect some items that might sell, or to bake, etc. You get the idea. I wanted to send this out, and see if any of you very talented family & friends of mine would be interested. (And maybe you have family or other friends who would do this with you?? If we do this, the more people that get involved, the more money we raise. Feel free to invite others to donate some projects as well!)

If you do find yourself intrigued by the idea, and want to get involved, just think about what you enjoy doing... I'd like to stear clear of items that may not sell, but other than that, I'm open to all sorts of ideas. Come up with what you think is feasible for you, and let me know. And if you hate crafts, but still want to be involved, maybe I can hold a day where we have supplies, but need help to assemble. Maybe you'd rather donate some start-up money to someone else who likes to make things. I really enjoy decor items, so I'm all about finding those kinds of items to sell. I'll also collect more at garage sales, and spruce them up or paint them in a shabby chic way. I also will hit craft stores and buy a few things that are very clearanced out. I want to be able to sell things at reasonable prices.

If there is interest, it would most likely be in mid-May, maybe on a Friday or Saturday. I am unsure if I could do this at church, or my home, or elsewhere. I would advertise it in the paper, and let people know that all the proceeds will go to Liberia. Those of you who live out of state, you could still be involved in making smaller items, and maybe I could pay shipping costs to get them here. (???)

Would you want to help, and if so... what do you imagine wanting to donate? Ideas for things to make and sell? Thanks for thinking about it. I am not good at asking for help, but this is not about me ( so I'm getting over it). : )

With Love & a Smile,
Corrie

No comments: