Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Liberia!!

It's official, Jason and I are going to Liberia this June!
We will be part of a team of 18 people traveling from the US to Liberia to serve with ACFI (African Christian Fellowship International), who runs the boarding school (previously the orphanage).
Obviously, we are HUGELY anticipating getting to meet our kids! And that's an extreme understatement! We will spend a week there, and will get to have Kelvin and Hawa with us while we serve. I have thought of this a million times... what will it be like to meet them? This June, I'll get to find out. We'll get to hold them, love them, talk to them and get to know them. It doesn't seem real to me yet.

We are also very thankful to be able just to go and experience Liberia, and to serve the Liberian orphans (primarily) in whatever way we can. Most likely, Jason will be doing construction projects, and I will be helping to organize and run VBS there. More details on that when we get them all figured out.

The only frustration I am having is that I seem to be unable to really celebrate this. It's like I'm waiting for the bad news to come, that it's all cancelled, and we can't go. I don't mean to be like this, but it's just the pattern of things in the last several years regarding adoption... you know? I can't seem to will myself to assume things will all work out fine. Certainly, the Lord has taught us that we cannot lean on our own plans or our own understanding. Things disappoint us, and I am now automatically reluctant to hope. I want to be truly excited. I mean, I will meet Kelvin and Hawa! ... there's not anything that can top that right now! Maybe I just need a little time? I really dislike being negative or cynical, but I'm not sure how to be assured and expectant that God will allow all this to work out the way we hope for.

Anyway, just wanted you to know!

No comments: