Thursday, January 13, 2011

God of Adventure

Well, we're almost on our way!!

Four backpacks (well... one "sling" for Jason; very Jack Bauer-esque),
four carry-ons,
seven 50 lb. check-ins (NO... they are NOT all packed with our stuff... 4.5 are full of packages for kiddos at the orphanages and supplies that have been collected and donated).
... and a partridge in a pear tree.


What does one bring to West Africa, traveling as a family of 4 and staying for a month, you ask? Well, among other things, lots and lots of bug spray, flashlights, sunscreen, protein bars, several large bottles of hand sanitizer, plenty of wipes, toiletries, flip-flops, medicines of all kinds, tools, mini-fans, batteries galore, and school stuff for the kiddos (... so that all the information they know doesn't fall out of their heads this month). Of course, we have underwear & a new outfit for Kelvin and Hawa, as well as warm traveling clothes in case they come home with us. If all the bags make it there... we'll be happy. If they don't, we'll still be happy... just less comfortably so...

... and maybe covered in bug-bites. :)

Before we go, I just have to take the opportunity to praise God for his goodness. What an adventure he has us on. I always dreamed of going to Africa as a kid, and here I am, ready to embark on my second trip there in less than 7 months. And I'm not going for some plain 'ol safari. That would be awesome, don't get me wrong... but instead of a trip all about me and my desires, I get to go on behalf of others, and God's desires. How amazing is that? How incredible is it that God is a God of adventure?

You know what I believe with all my heart though? I believe that I can be on the adventure of my life right here at home... and I believe that's where God has much of it planned for me. I'll continue to live and love the adventure of being in an amazing family, always learning how I can better love and partner with my husband, raising and shaping the lives God has entrusted to me. This trip to Africa, our adoption journey, and the drama of the past 3 years, are not the norm of life... they are just new and different ways that God has been teaching us and directing us into what he has for us next. It is equally exciting to me when he shows us ways he wants to use us right here at home... when we can speak his life and encouragement into others' lives, when we are given the chance to love others in his name.

I love an adventure. I'm one of those odd people who actually enjoy airports and layovers (in moderation, of course) because of the promise of a new place and new people on the other side. But to be honest, there's a large part of me right now that can't wait for some "normal" to set in once we get home. I'm looking forward to settling into a routine again that doesn't involve packing up my life for weeks at a time or making my kids take typhoid vaccinations. I LOVE the adventure we'll be a part of starting Saturday... but I LOVE being home as well. I am content in the role he's given me, and I desire to say that I am content no matter what circumstance surrounds me. I frequently have to work at that... it can be difficult to accept hard or painful things. I certainly have not had searing loss or deep wounds as many others have had, but I hope that I would lean on Christ even through those circumstances, and come out brighter and with a truer kind of joy because of them.

Anyway, all that to say that I'm excited... but I hope you're excited too. I hope that just because you may not be leaving for Africa soon, your heart won't be held back from seeing the adventure right in front of you... no matter what form or shape it's in. God is glorified when we live the adventure he sets before each of us with joy and whole-heartedness. That's what it's all about. That's what I want. Bring it on.

2 comments:

Ami Carr said...

Well Said Corrie! God Speed and prayers for you!
Love you guys!

Maria the Great said...

I'm so excited for you guys. Got goosebumps and teary eyed reading your excitement! Looking forward to the updates along the way.