Friday, December 12, 2008

The Faithful One

I decided not to do Christmas cards this year. I had purposed to do them every other year, and this is my year off, but I did want to send a few Christmas greetings out to the family members that we will not get a chance to see over the holidays. So- I went to my trusty Wal-mart and had a look at the options. I saw cute cards, and "religious" cards. I saw funny cards and cards with really great designs. Then I saw these kind of ugly ones. They were a mustard color, with a small bit of green at the bottom with gold words. If you know me... I'm kind of particular about pretty things... colors and designs and such... so why did I notice this rather dreary card? Well, across the top in big font is the word "Jesus". Now, I love a God-honoring Christmas card, but let's face it... some are really cheesy. But this one was different. Right under the word "Jesus", the card said "The Faithful One".

Jesus
The Faithful One

The confidence we have...
the trust we hold...
the hope we carry...
rest in his faithfulness.

Every promise He has made
He purposes to fulfill.

He has the authority to
accomplish all He has spoken.

His power is limitless...
His character changeless...
His love endless!

The names and traits of our God move me. When I am faithless, he remains the Faithful One. When I am restless, he is the Prince of Peace, when I lack wisdom, he is my Wonderful Counsleor. I'm so thankful.

In this season of waiting to bring Kelvin and Hawa home, God constantly has to remind me that "he has the authority to accomplish all He has spoken". It seems that we have been waiting on people for over a year now in this desire to adopt children. Social workers who never called us back, background checks to be approved, or for Edgar to sign our papers (you can pray about this one - it's currently why our homestudy is not yet in the hands of USCIS, where is needs to be) But really... God moves or doesn't move all of these people. So we don't really wait on them, we wait on our God... who has plans for us, who loves Kelvin and Hawa, whose perfect timing I can trust.

I guess this Christmas card just really said some things that I appreciated.... things I can relate to. Our hope, our trust and our confidence rest in his faithfulness. And there's no safer place for my heart to be.

So, Mom & Dad, Oma, and other family members who get a strange-colored card in the mail... you were fore-warned! :)

P.S. - The site for donations/sponsorship of children in Liberia is not yet up and running. I will post it as soon as it becomes available. It sounds like the kids have food right now, and that their December shipment will arrive in the next few weeks. Please pray that it is released from the port in Monrovia so that the staff can use it ASAP... things sometimes get held up at the dock for weeks.

No comments: